Seven Bridges or McGilvray Bridges

Home2009 SpeakersHistorical SitesEventsMembershipLinks

 

 

 

 
About 3.5 miles northwest of Holmen, Rustic Road #61 provides access to the McGilvray Bottoms and what was commonly called Seven Bridges Road. So named because of the seven bridges across the channels of the Black River, the road was permanently closed in 1948 because of frequent flooding. The roadway, located within the state-owned Van Loon Wildlife Area, provides a scenic hiking trail to the remaining rare bowstring arch-truss bridges which were built in 1905-1908. The McGilvray Road is listed with both the National and Wisconsin Registers of Historic Places. A parking lot and picnic table at the beginning of the roadway invite hikers, cross-country skiers and birdwatchers.
 
mcgilvray_bridge.jpg (21709 bytes)