New Amsterdam Presbyterian Church

Home2009 SpeakersHistorical SitesEventsMembershipLinks

 

 

 

 
Records show that public worship services were held as early as 1853, sometimes in the Dutch language, sometimes in English. The visits of a Presbyterian missionary, who preached in John Mulder's wagon shop, resulted in the organization of a Presbyterian church in October 1870, the first resident pastor being the Rev. D. Borgers. The church building was begun in 1873 and completed in 1879. In 1885, the congregation authorized a maximum loan of $300 in order to build a manse. A new manse was erected in 1925. No records exist for the years 1872 to 1884, but it is believe that services were under the jurisdiction of the Reformed Church during that time. Since 1884, however, the church has been a Presbyterian church.