Maple Shade School

Home2009 SpeakersHistorical SitesEventsMembershipLinks

 

 

 

 
Early records indicate that classes were held in a building at the present site of this school as early as 1869. The old building was moved and became a chicken coop when the present building was constructed in 1895. Written records include the purchase price of the bell as $47.95. In 1872, the school board voted to have six months of school in two terms beginning in November and May. This was changed in 1924, when an eight-month school year was authorized. The school was used for classes until the 1960's.