Luther College Historical Marker

Home2009 SpeakersHistorical SitesEventsMembershipLinks

 

 

 

 
Luther College began on Sept. 1, 1861, in the small log cabin parsonage of Halfway Creek Norwegian Lutheran
Church. The school boasted an enrollment of 16 students with two professors, Lars Larson and F.A. Schmidt. In 1862, the college moved to Decorah, Iowa, where it maintains a strong Norwegian Lutheran heritage. The parsonage was destroyed by fire in 1875.