Holmen Canning Company

Home2009 SpeakersHistorical SitesEventsMembershipLinks

 

 

 

 
Remaining buildings of the canning company are located on West Legion Street and are currently used for several small businesses and a private home. Organized in the fall of 1913 by A.O. Jostad, M.F. McHugh, and William Keppel, the three-story main building and attached viner shed were constructed in 1914, when production began. Initially, the factory processed peas, adding whole kernel corn in 1945, and green and wax beans in 1954. At its peak, the factory provided employment for as many as 500 people and approximately 250 area farmers for growing the vegetables. Many local residents remember financing college educations with the summer work. The factory closed December 15, 1975.